September 13, 2010

Cupcake Riley

My nephew's birthday is this week.   I thought it was totally appropriate since he will be fifteen to wish him a happy birthday, Cupcake!   He would expect nothing less.

Since I sorted my paper a wee bit more this past week, I determined that I really need to start using what paper I have and try to work with it before purchasing new paper.  I saw a commercial the other day for the show Hoarders.   I think I might be headed that way via paper!  LOL

Since I was using the 'cupcake' theme, I used my Baking Riley image from Riley & Company.    I colored the image with Copic Markers.  I sponged the background with ColorBox chalk ink in Yellow Cadmium.  I used Stardust Stickles for the steam.

I tried the layering with Nestabilities idea I watched from Gina K on StampTV.  It featured cutting the top image at the embossed ridge, so that when you layer it the layer is smaller.  It worked pretty well, but I could see the cut possibly looking homemade.  I suppose you could ink the edges more to hide a bit. 

I had the papers on hand.  I almost used pink for a joke, but liked these stripes {wink}.  I used the Cuttlebug die and emboss folder Disney Take the Cake.  I will pick up an iTunes gift card and will be ready to roll!

Thanks, for taking a peek.  Have a great day!

Card entered into the following Challenge(s):  Crafty Ho's Challenge Blog, Ooh La La Creations, Fab-n-Funky Challenges

September 12, 2010

Forest Girl

I am a participant in a 'forest friend' themed swap on SCS.   I had decided to come up with an image to use that was not an animal.   Fortunately, I remembered I had just downloaded a digital image that would work perfectly for the swap.   I used the Wild Rose image from Create with TLC.

I had the card stock for the base.  It was somewhat of an ivory kraft type paper, with small flecks in the paper.  The green layer is Core'dinations card stock in Meadow.   The yellow card stock is Core'dinations Gemstone in Citrine.  For those of you following the thread on SCS, this is the stupid a** paper I referred to!   The DP is from Creative Imaginations, Iron Orchid Designs - which uses soy ink and the tree hugger in me loves this fact.  

I used Nestabilities to cut and emboss the image itself as well as the layers below.   I used the Victoria Cuttlebug embossing folder for the green layer.  The flower was from a Cuttlebug die cut.

The image was colored with Copic Markers and rubbed ink.  I finished the detailing with Stampin' UP! Crystal Effects.

I enjoyed working on the card, sans running out of the stupid a** paper and taking forever to find another piece!  LOL 

Card entered into the following challenge(s):   Fab-n-Funky Challenges; Really Reasonable Ribbon's Ramblings